Environmental sustainability is concerned with environmental resources will be protected and maintained for future generations.It involves decisions and actions that helps in protecting the natural world.
Currently environmental sustainability is receiving attention from the media and different government departments.
Environmental sustainability is concerned with issues such as
Long term health of ecosystem.
- It helps in protecting the long-term productivity and health of resources to meet future economic and social needs.
- Treating environment resources as if they have intrinsic rights and value
- We should protect rain forests because they deserve to be protected rather than using them for our financial gain.
- Inter-generational decision making
- At the time of taking economic decisions we should focus on implications for future generation.
- Avoid excess pollution
- We should avoid excess pollution because it can cause damage to health and the earth’s atmosphere.
Role of United Nations curbingenvironmental problems
Environmental protection has become important for United Nations. More than 200 international environmental conventions now exists and bodies such as the UN Environment programme, the global environmental facility are playing important roles in environmental protection.
- The UN is tackling global problems such as ozone layer depletion, loss of forests and species, and air and water pollution.
- Unless these problems are addressed, markets and economies will not be sustainable in the long term.
- Because environmental losses are depleting the natural resources on which growth and human survival are based.
- UNEPs mission is “to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and people’s to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations.”
UNEP main activities are related to-
- Climate change
- Disaster and conflicts
- Ecosystem management
- Environmental governance
Some more tips for protecting the environment
- Turn off the lights you do not need and unplug electrical household appliances when you are not using them.
- Buy products with little packaging.
- Don’t rinse the dishes before putting them in the dish water.
- Put down carpets to keep the house warm.
- Don’t send chemicals in our waterways.
- Plant more and more trees.